[Ardour-Users] Open Movie with Ardour and Mixbus

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 13:10:45 PDT 2012

Whenever an open movie gets made by the Blender institute, there seems to
always pop up a discussion in various places that deal with Linux Audio the
same question. "Why wasn't Ardour/etc. used to make this instead of
Logic?". While I won't go into the answers here, other than to say I agree
with Jan's thought process on this, I will say that there is an open movie
being made that is incorporating Ardour and Mixbus into it.

Tube is an open movie being made by a crew of people, many of whom are also
part of the Blender community, and Bassam was the director for the very
first open movie released by the Blender Institute, "Elephant's Dream".
While this open movie does not have anything directly to do with the
Blender Institute, I can say that it is being made with Ardour and Mixbus
for SFX design, taking another step into the realm of openness.

I can say this because I am working on the SFX for Tube in those programs
myself. The goal is to replace all of the current sounds with sounds I
record myself so that we can release all the sounds openly, and the
sessions as well, but for the moment I am using a mix of my own recordings
and library sounds as I am very short for time to go out and do field
recordings. None the less, we are attempting to finish up this movie this
year and have started fundraising for it if you want to help out and
participate.  You can find more info on the kickstarter page...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1331941187/the-tube-open-movie

   Seablade
     aka Thomas Vecchione

PS. Yes the audio for the video was edited and mixed in Mixbus on Linux
with a variety of software plugins including restoration VSTs (WaveARTS)
via Festige, LinuxDSP plugins, and a few others.  Again credit to Robin for
the excellent Jadeo software, even if it seems to want to turn everyone in
the video into Smurfs while I am viewing in it, but I suspect that is more
due to a very out of date version.