[Ardour-Users] How do you use Jamin in Ardour (was: Cleaning up unused regions)

Raffaele Morelli raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 06:19:29 PDT 2011

2011/10/6 Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com>

> On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 12:46:46 +0200
> Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I try to mix at my best before using Jamin and/or exporting anything and
> > only when it's good I do export a stereo 48Khz wave file.
> > Then I create a new 'special' session for the master, import the 'final
> mix'
> > in one stereo track having its outputs routed to jamin ins while jamin
> outs
> > are routed into the master inputs in ardour.
>
> That seems like a lot of work to me.  I too don't add Jamin until I'm
> done with the mix, but it's so simple to add an insert to it in the
> master track.  Doesn't matter to me whether it's pre- or post-fader
> since I leave the master channel at 0 dB - if it goes over, I've mixed
> poorly!
>
> I know that I can stress my poor old P4 if I have too many channels with
> fx and run Jamin, but when that happens I'll pay attention to my
> sub-mixes.  No need to have 3-4 background vox channels each with their
> own fx when I can throw on a mix bus and put the fx there (except
> perhaps for some EQ).
>
> Even with the idea of mastering only a single stereo track, I'd just
> work off a snapshot in the same session where I've imported the track
> and mute or hide the rest of the tracks, but that's mostly because
> I'm a bit OCD about keeping my filesystems streamlined, and the
> multiple directories for a song would make me twitch :)

:-) that works too and sometimes I use snapshots just like you, it's just a
matter of taste and needs.
let's say you can use the same master project for an entire album or a bunch
of songs which must "sound the same".
but... I would not go juggling with tracks faders/eqs/compressors with jamin
on the master bus... not really.

regards
-r