[Ardour-Users] How do you use Jamin in Ardour (was: Cleaning up unused regions)

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Oct 6 05:21:03 PDT 2011

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 12:46:46 +0200
Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> I try to mix at my best before using Jamin and/or exporting anything and
> only when it's good I do export a stereo 48Khz wave file.
> Then I create a new 'special' session for the master, import the 'final mix'
> in one stereo track having its outputs routed to jamin ins while jamin outs
> are routed into the master inputs in ardour.

That seems like a lot of work to me.  I too don't add Jamin until I'm
done with the mix, but it's so simple to add an insert to it in the
master track.  Doesn't matter to me whether it's pre- or post-fader
since I leave the master channel at 0 dB - if it goes over, I've mixed
poorly!

I know that I can stress my poor old P4 if I have too many channels with
fx and run Jamin, but when that happens I'll pay attention to my
sub-mixes.  No need to have 3-4 background vox channels each with their
own fx when I can throw on a mix bus and put the fx there (except
perhaps for some EQ).

Even with the idea of mastering only a single stereo track, I'd just
work off a snapshot in the same session where I've imported the track
and mute or hide the rest of the tracks, but that's mostly because
I'm a bit OCD about keeping my filesystems streamlined, and the
multiple directories for a song would make me twitch :)

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com