[Ardour-Users] Cleaning up unused regions

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 12:40:11 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:35 PM, fukked up <fukked_up at gmx.net> wrote:
> That is still the case if you use a script to archive it.

Yes but I cannot edit a 'archived version' done by script without a
significant amount of work and wait.  I have to be able to open and
edit any of these with little to no advance notice.

> I know. But except for preprocessing of the recorded material, it's not
> an answer to the question, why recorded audio is stored with 32f. The
> jack routing and fx processing is still being done in 32f when you
> record with 24 int. For freezing or exporting you could choose 32f by
> default, if you like.

That is the thing though, the 'internal' format of Ardour is what any
freezing/bouncing/consolidating is done at, so it becomes more useful.

> If anyone can actually hear the difference bewtween 2^24 or 2^32
> different amplitudes, even if processed is another question.

It isn't a matter necessarily if the difference between 24 bit and 32
bit on its own can be heard, but rather whether the difference of that
over a multitude of oeprations that require more precisions than 24
bit.

> I didn't say it's useless because I don't need it... I like FLAC. I just
> wanted to point out that the relation between the space you save and the
> additional cpu power required is bad when using FLAC directly.

Have you tested said relationship?

> Especially compared to encoding after the project is finished. (You save
> space and don't need a good computer).

See above, your solution doesn't let me quickly and easily edit any session.

> Depending on the tracks, let's say you can reduce the size to 50%.
> How much do you think, is a cpu (-stack), that can encode 40+ channels
> in rt?

Depends, as I mentioned this was not intended for large track counts
but <16 track count, but even so on a modern multi-core processor with
encoding happening in different threads you would likely be surprised.
 My initial testing of this was VERY positive even in encoding in this
regards, and decoding takes far less CPU.

> How much is a 2 TB hdd?
> You only save 25% of space compared with downgrading to 24b.
> Anyway, I didn't want to rant on you or any dev.
> Just thought an "archive project" option might be more useful.

An archive project option isn't a bad idea, fairly certain it is in
Mantis, if it isn't go ahead and put it there, but isn't a solution
for my use case or for some live recording use cases(Whcih mine is).

     Seablade