[Ardour-Users] Cleaning up unused regions

fukked up fukked_up at gmx.net
Wed Oct 5 12:35:25 PDT 2011

Am 05.10.2011 19:45, schrieb Thomas Vecchione:
> If I have close to an hour of silence on a track, and 5
> minutes of material, then the amount of space saving approaches 90% if
> not more
That is still the case if you use a script to archive it.
> Technically most sound cards AD processes are closer to 20bit IIRC,
> but that is details, they do report 24 bit and pass data like that.
> The reason the internal format of Ardour is by default in 32 bit is
> likely for two reasons, one Jack is 32 bit and it is relatively easy
> to pass identical data back and forth as a result, but also because
> when modifying and mixing 24 bit audio you might find you need more
> data precision to lessen any loss from mathematical limitations (For
> instance numbers that need infinite precision) thus why Jack does it
> mixing in 32 bit, but then are you going to dither down or worse yet
> truncate down the output to 24 bit when you bounce the result to disk
> to work with more(For instance freezing a track with processing)?
I know. But except for preprocessing of the recorded material, it's not
an answer to the question, why recorded audio is stored with 32f. The
jack routing and fx processing is still being done in 32f when you
record with 24 int. For freezing or exporting you could choose 32f by
default, if you like.
If anyone can actually hear the difference bewtween 2^24 or 2^32
different amplitudes, even if processed is another question.

I didn't say it's useless because I don't need it... I like FLAC. I just
wanted to point out that the relation between the space you save and the
additional cpu power required is bad when using FLAC directly.
Especially compared to encoding after the project is finished. (You save
space and don't need a good computer).
Depending on the tracks, let's say you can reduce the size to 50%.
How much do you think, is a cpu (-stack), that can encode 40+ channels
in rt?
How much is a 2 TB hdd?
You only save 25% of space compared with downgrading to 24b.
Anyway, I didn't want to rant on you or any dev.
Just thought an "archive project" option might be more useful.

/mn0