[Ardour-Users] Cleaning up unused regions

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Oct 5 07:01:11 PDT 2011

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 09:42:50 -0400
Brett McCoy <idragosani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bouncing digital audio doesn't degrade quality (not like in the
> multitrack days). I "loop" audio out Ardour and back in all of the
> time, like when using Jamin for mastering, I send the Master Outs into
> Jamin (with Ardour output to system playback removed), and then Jamin
> output comes back into a "mastered" track in Ardour (output to Master
> track is removed, I monitor audio directly from Jamin). No issues
> doing this at all.

An interesting approach.  I use an insert on the master track to send
the mix to Jamin, then put the master outs to a monitor bus which sends
its output to the hardware.  I like that because I can map the monitor
fader to my MIDI control unit and have a physical fader to adjust the
monitor level.  One thing I learned is to not use the Ardour monitor bus,
though, because it ends up automatically mapping a control channel to
the monitor bus which I need to manually remove or I'm not hearing the
actual mix.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com