[Ardour-Users] Cleaning up unused regions

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 04:42:47 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 7:27 AM, Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you can create new regions from the old ones by using "playhead"
> edit mode, then right-click->edit->split (at the bottom somewhere).
>
> Do that around the audio you want to keep, and then select the regions that
> you don't need, hit del, and Session->cleanup like normal..?
>
> Haven't tried it out here, but that should work AFAICS :) -Harry

Nope.

A region != audio file. (See earlier on in the tech ref, don't have a
link to it right now).  This will not remove any audio file that is
the source of any region, which all you are doing with the split
command is creating a new region with the source of the same audio
file.  Hope that makes sense.

If you bounced the portion after you split it, Ardour would create a
new audio file for it, and then you could delete all instances of the
old region or other regions with the same source.  Then you could
cleanup, and after you closed and reopened Ardour you could flush the
wastebasket(Intentionally designed this way) and that would remove
unsued audio which your original recordings would be now.  Personally
this method would be far to prone for error on larger track count
recording sessions for my comfort so I don't recommend it, but to each
their own.

       Seablade