[Ardour-Users] [OT] mastering madness

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri May 27 07:54:14 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 16:03 +0200, Benjamin Scherrer wrote:
> http://septimbears.de/rhcp_vs_GNR.jpg

:D

> http://www.gatewaymastering.com/gateway_LoudnessWars.asp

That's great, but I experienced that audio engineers only like
uncompressed music. Both, most layman and most musicians prefer a
dynamic range between -0.1 and 0 dB full scale or similar ;), never
watched the meters, but sometimes it really sounds as if it is that way.

There should be a multi-band compressor licence.

If I lose my Beatles records this would be very harmful, I read a Wiki
and there it's said that all Beatles recordings were remastered several
times and that the dynamic range became smaller and smaller during the
years. This sounds like taking a permanent marker to improve the Sistine
Chapel's frescoes with tags.