[Ardour-Users] Which distro best supports Ardour using the Delta 44 (ICE1712)?

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Mon Mar 21 10:15:18 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 12:33 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Your point may be true Paul, or it may not. If today he chooses
> > distroX and then at some future time he finds that distroX doesn't
> > currently support a library you used for some future version of
> > Ardour, then it *could* (not will) be an issue. I hated my days using
> > Fedora for exactly that reason. What's going to change this going
> > forward? Binary releases with everything built in?
>
> precisely.
>
> i wasn't make any point about any particular distro. we're tired of
> playing the distro game, so future versions of ardour will be
> available in a distro-neutral, binary package that includes everything
> except glibc and the X libraries.

One of the reasons I've kind of stopped using Ardour is because of the
sheer size of the package, with its own weirdass not-quite-the-same Gtk
libraries and so on.

There's no such thing as a distro-neutral binary package.  If that's the
route Ardour is taking in the future, then I'm even less likely to keep
using it.

Gordon MM0YEQ