[Ardour-Users] graphical EQs [was: what linux audio, project, do you miss?]

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 03:21:43 PST 2011

1.  As I just mentioned in another thread, latency is not really an issue
with DAW work, so using a linear phase EQ is completely possible
2.  Really people?  Nettings I think you have done sound art work in the
past, I wonder how many people that have responded have?  Sometimes the
artifacts and issues CAUSED by specific 'bad' filters might be what is
desired.  I have worked with some artists that specifically don't remember
what plugins sound like so that they are always forced to explore and find
new ways to get effects, and yes some of those are sometimes what we
consider undesirabl when musica mixing.  It is a completely different
application of the same principles of audio.
3. Obviously doing this is working for the person in question, why exactly
do we all feel the need to jump on it and say you are stupid for using a 31
band?  I can tell you certainly I have worked on things where I wanted more
than a 4 band parametric EQ(Used because people said that was the most you
should ever need), that is why I like WaveArts trackplug with a nice 7 band
parametric I can enable or disable each band individually.  There are other
instances where I might want a graphic EQ, generally a 15 band, but I am not
going to complain if someone wants a 31 band, while mixing in a DAW.
 Workflow is a very personal matter and just because you don't agree with it
doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

     Seablade

Probably done with this I suppose.