[Ardour-Users] graphical EQs [was: what linux audio project do you miss?]

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Thu Mar 3 13:03:48 PST 2011

On 03/03/2011 08:06 PM, Kim Cascone wrote:
>> there is no excuse ever to be using a 31 band graphic eq except for live
>> rocknroll shows under severe time pressure, to prevent and/or react to
>> feedback.
>
> I disagree -- I used my 31 band GRM EQ (when I worked on OS X) for
> mastering and sound design on a daily basis -- with all due respect your
> comment reflects the type of thinking that impoverishes the
> technological offerings in Linux Audio for those of us 'creatives' who
> DO have an 'excuse' to use a 31 band EQ - namely for sound design and
> mastering

sound design i could understand, depending on the creative process.

for surgical, minimum-impact operations such as mastering however, you
will find that a carefully tuned parametric EQ will yield far superiour,
better controlled results with less phase distortion than a graphical one.

after some practising, it will also be a lot faster to work with (just
compare a quick frequency sweep to raising each GEQ band in turn to zero
in on a problem band).
also, once you've used the Q parameter, there's no going back :)

of course everybody is free to use the EQs of their choice, but i still
maintain that graphical EQs are sub-optimal for serious studio work.
a 31-band eq is not "pro" because you find it in every rack out there.
it's equivalent to the large hammer: you use it to make rock shows work
at all, not because they sound good.
in the studio, treat yourself to the luxury of precision tools.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net