[Ardour-Users] what linux audio project do you miss?

Al Thompson biggles58 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 2 17:06:12 PST 2011

Kim Cascone wrote:
> I miss my GRM plugins on OS X - especially the 31 band graphic EQ
> which I used on almost everything I created
> I'd love to see a serious EQ made for LV2
> http://www.inagrm.com/grmtools

Unfortunately, all of the graphic EQ plugins I've heard have sounded
like Tascam gear, or even worse.

I also don't really think that putting 31 band EQs in everyone's hands
is necessarily a good thing.  I'd rather see a GOOD 3 or 4 band
quasi-parametric.  There are far too many rather odd and esoteric
plugins for Linux audio.  I think it's because 1) there are too many
math nerds writing the software who haven't spent serious time in a
studio, and; 2) because they can.

I'd MUCH rather have a good 3 band parametric, a GOOD
compresser/limiter, a good delay line, and a good basic 'verb, than a
dozen or so distortion/clipping plugins based on various math processes
I don't care about, or countless things based on FFT which do things
that, while interesting mathematically, are not listenable in any sort
of musical situation.

I'm not really trying to be an audio snob, but that is the thing that I
see keeping people from making serious use of Linux as an audio platform.

--

Check out the website I've been cobbling together.  It will never be done, but it's a start:
http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio, mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
						- [Friedrich Nietzsche]