[Ardour-Users] looking for some program dependent compressor plugins

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 12:13:44 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein at vait.se> wrote:
> I believe he was quite clear that it was in his own opinion when he was
> talking about this, so it's a lot of opinions here. :-)

I don't believe I implied he said otherwise, just that I disagreed
with him.  If I did imply that sorry, didn't mean to.

> I think that it's probably a big need for Mixbus compressor documentation. I
> choose type and just adjusts the knobs and it sounds great very fast, but
> frankly, I don't really know what I'm doing and I don't really understand
> exactly how this different compressors works, so some docs and tutorials on
> this from someone who really knows would be nice.

Most people would say what you are doing is the correct way to do
things.  Every last detail doesn't need to be exposed and I agree with
this personally.  I certainly don't think docs beyond what are already
available are needed.  One control adjusts the threshold, one adjust
the speed at which the compressor reacts, and one adjust the output
gain, with the ability to switch between compressor modes.  What
sounds good is almost certainly what is what you want.

> They are probably different
> on the channels, mixbuses and the master as well, so the confusion might be
> total here when one start to think.

No the compressor 'programs' are pretty similar if not identical(And I
believe they are identical) between channels and Mixbusses.

    Seablade