[Ardour-Users] Directing MIDI input from a keyboard

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Mon Jun 27 07:14:52 PDT 2011

On 06/27/2011 11:32 PM, Al Thompson wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 07:41 AM, Leigh Dyer wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure I follow what you mean here. I do know, though, that
>> Qtractor handles what I'm asking for pretty well -- when you hit the
>> keys on your keyboard, it routes the MIDI to the track that you have
>> highlighted in its main window, unless you override that by manually
>> configuring MIDI monitoring on other tracks.
>
> I finally figured out that it's not the input to the MIDI track that you
> are concerned with, it's the MIDI routing.  Correct?

Yep, that's correct -- I want to be able to connect the input from my
keyboard to the inputs on multiple tracks, but then configure how Ardour
routes the MIDI internally.

> I believe that the workflow you want is to have MIDI routed from a MIDI
> input to whichever MIDI channel/port is associated with a track that you
> click on in the main window.  Is that correct?  That's how Sonar works,
> if I remember correctly.

I think this is what Qtractor does, too, and I think that would do the
job. I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but it would work for me!

Thanks
Leigh