[Ardour-Users] help needed to ascertain a MIDI design question

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun Jun 12 01:24:16 PDT 2011

Hi!

I think the solution should be non-destructive, that is after moving the
same notes back again, everything should be like before.

It might be preferable to choose rules that don't require look-ahead.

Then with deleting or shortening notes out of question, one rule from
each of the following sets could be applied:

Handling On:
A. On encountering an On before an Off for the previous On of the same
pitch, issue an Off first.
B. Suppress an On before the Off for the previous On on the same pitch.

Handling Off:
1. Just produce an Off for every note end.
2. Play Off unless there's no "open" On.
3. Count note starts for one pitch that happen before a single end is
encountered. Count note ends and only emit Off once there has been as
many ends as starts counted before.

I can only hope I have covered all sane options with this :)

Starts or ends that will not result in Ons and Offs right there and note
durations that don't match what will be played back should be rendered
differently. Maybe faded, dotted, outline only ...

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/