[Ardour-Users] ardour 3.0 alpha season drawing to an end

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 14:36:47 PDT 2011

I had intended on putting Ardour through its MIDI paces this week, so
loaded up the new alpha9, started a new session, and recorded two MIDI
tracks.  I haven't added plugins or automation.  First off, I noticed
that alpha9 eats an incredible amount of CPU time.  I thought it may be
because I was using a previous version of jack, so I closed ardour and
upgraded to the latest which is in the Fedora 14 64 bit repo, which is
jackdmp 1.9.7.  Now, it's worse!  Upon starting alpha9 (open existing
session, which is my session with 2 MIDI tracks), I get a message in a
pop-up window which says:

"Please wait while Ardour loads visual data"

And then consumes 100% of my processor for 3 or 4 minutes, is totally
unresponsive, and will not redraw the screen.  I can connect MIDI
outputs and hit play after it comes back alive, and it works, but when I
hit rewind, it once again consumes 100% of the processor and hangs
ardour for several minutes.  The machine still responds, but ardour
itself it locked.

I can't go any further with testing this.  It's a bummer.  I was
motivated to start a new project on A3 and see what it could do.

--
---
Check out the website I've been cobbling together.  It will never be

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]