[Ardour-Users] Midi replay problems

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jul 12 08:47:10 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:

>> What ALSA MIDI/JACK MIDI "bridge" are you using, -X seq or -X raw or
>> a2jmidid -e ?
>
> I was using qjackctl, and using either raw or seq does not appear to
> make a qualitative difference.

neither are recommended. if i had more, a2jmidid's code would already
be a part of JACK, but its not. -X seq and -X raw have *terrible*
timing characteristics and -X seq will even lose data in one or both
directions. a2jmidid, while currently more cumbersome to use, is far
better in every way.

> Yes, I know, like with sample rates it is likely all my own fault and I
> have no idea what working with a DAW means, but it is somewhat pointless
> if Ardour offers menu entries for stopping and restarting jackd that it
> will not look whether anything has changed.  What would you stop jackd
> for otherwise?

the menu options are for disconnecting and reconnecting to JACK, not
starting and stopping JACK.

starting and stopping JACK while running JACK clients is absolutely
not intended operation. Ardour's provision of these options is mostly
to deal with JACK1's "zombification" design, in which JACK can kick a
client out of the JACK "graph" because of apparent misbehaviour.

> Anyway: to be really sure, I need to try one fresh session per Midi
> configuration (starting with templates does not feel reasonably safe
> since it is not clear to me just what will be imported and what not).

templates store everything except actual data.