[Ardour-Users] Midi replay problems (was: Problem importing *.MID files)

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Jul 11 10:28:06 PDT 2011

David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> writes:

>> On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 17:21 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> Ardour3b9 refuses to import files with names like "BEGUINE.MID" into
>>> tracks (the canonical file name on DOS floppy disks, more or less a
>>> standard medium for sequencers) even though the file selector gives them
>>> an icon suggesting a music file (two semiquaver notes).
>>>
>>> Renaming them into "beguine.midi" will make this work, but I really
>>> think that ardour should recognize the DOS style extensions without
>>> additional prodding.
>
> The above example was straight from
> <URL:http://www.ketronus.com/zip/MS40%20Disks.zip>

Apropos: I have now imported "BALLAD.MID" from the above-mentioned disk
set.  When replaying through an Ardour track, it sounds like a cat
playing with the turntable, including speedups, slowdowns and pitch
going up and down.  The original does include bends and slides, but is
not out of whack in that manner.

Timidity does not have the respective voices/channels, so I can't check
replay there.  Can anybody check the results on a non-Ketron expander?

I should have thought that importing a midi file and replaying through
Ardour should be more or less the same as playing it via aplaymidi, but
that's quite an impressible bit off.

--
David Kastrup