[Ardour-Users] Problem importing *.MID files (was: ardour 3.0 alpha season drawing to an end)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jul 11 09:03:38 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 17:21 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Ardour3b9 refuses to import files with names like "BEGUINE.MID" into
> tracks (the canonical file name on DOS floppy disks, more or less a
> standard medium for sequencers) even though the file selector gives them
> an icon suggesting a music file (two semiquaver notes).
>
> Renaming them into "beguine.midi" will make this work, but I really
> think that ardour should recognize the DOS style extensions without
> additional prodding.

Just my personal opinion.

Qtractor's extension is '.mid' too. As long as I'm able to share files
between Qtractor and Ardour I'm satisfied. Btw. I didn't test it until
now, it's on my todo list.

IMO to be able sharing MIDI files with other OS at least is useless
regrading to needed plugins, such as virtual synth, hence a renaming
won't be a serious issue.

Again, just 2 cents,

Ralf

PS: The problem I've got is that until now, I need to sync Ardour2 and
Qtractor, just because of my personal taste and well, this sync is a
PITA as soon as I wish to use loop play, but this is OT now :(.