[Ardour-Users] ardour 3.0 alpha season drawing to an end

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Jul 11 08:43:45 PDT 2011

On 07/11/2011 05:18 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 15:35 +0100, Noel Darlow wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>>    1) crashing bugs (this includes lockups/hangs)
>>>    2) workflow issues that make certain desirable goals impossible or
>>> absurdly hard to accomplish (particulary with respect to MIDI)
>>
>> Will do.
>>
>> Noel
>
> Videotimeline?

http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=3286

Although the code is orthogonal to current ardour-development, it may
not be for 3.0beta or 3.0.

Distribution of the external video-server (icsd) and user/usage-issues
may just clutter up the current release.
Besides, the current solution is only a prototype. Yes, it is fully
functional and can be used in the real-world, but it's a one-man-show
and may evolve to something different once there's more manpower and
discussion. One step at a time.

> I'm still a Rui fan regarding to midi ;), OTOH I'm a fan of Ardour
> regarding to audio :).

Thanks to jack-transport they work well together, no?
If you're not happy with that, file feature-requests :)

> Phew? MIDI always is hard to use for some kinds of music, it isn't the
> fault of Rosegarden, Qtractor, [...] and Ardour.
>
> IMO we can't report bugs that much, but perhaps several issues regarding
> to our workflows.
>
> Is there any limit regarding to the workflow we should report? In other
> words, should we really report what we wish to have, or just what we
> wish to have that's conform to the averaged view of point for Linux
> mailing lists?

If you can already present a consensus, that's certainly preferred to
re-starting a discussion about personal issues on the bug/feature tracker.

Please check if the issue has been reported before filing it anew.
Sometimes comments to existing issues are sufficient.

You can search for keywords in mantis http://tracker.ardour.org/
or just skim over http://tracker.ardour.org/roadmap_page.php

read the section "Bugs and Feature Requests"at http://ardour.org/support
and http://ardour.org/how_to_report_a_bug