[Ardour-Users] Session strategy/organizing question

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Jan 7 01:48:41 PST 2011

I have a bunch of WAV files from a PT session that I'm going to be mixing in Ardour (yay, second Better Than Lahar CD!).

The files don't correspond to any particular song. The session was rather "loose", in that we often left the transport running, and just blitzed through a bunch of songs and a bunch of takes rather casually.  Now I've got 9 sets of files per each Ardour track, some of which have two or three takes of totaly different songst.

My question is this: is there any technical or logistical reason why I wouldn't just treat this like one huge unsplit session-- as if I had only one WAV file per Ardour track--, and keep the whole session in one big Ardour project directory, and just create different songname.ardour save files for each song?

The only downside I could think of, is if I were to want to send just one song to someone else to track or mix it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing all the overdubbing and mixing on this stuff.

-ken