[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3.0 beta 1a - Channel Map in wav file header

Roger James roger at beardandsandals.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 08:24:47 PST 2011

On 9 Dec 2011, at 14:30, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Roger James <roger at beardandsandals.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 09/12/11 13:18, Paul Davis wrote:

>>> pointer to spec?
>>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463006#E6C
>
> the first and much more basic problem is that  we don't create WAVEX
> files at all.

Doh! My mistake. I just saw more than two channels and assumed it was wavex, Oops.

I think it is something to be considered. It means that you cannot just play the resulting wav files in standard media players if the channels don't match the ordering (up to the number of channels  in the file). The order is given in that MS doc I referenced earlier.

Sorry if I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs as they say round here.

I am hacking up a little libsndfile app to convert to wavex and set the channel for the time being.

Roger