[Ardour-Users] Which distro best supports Ardour using the Delta 44 (ICE1712)?

Sat Apr 9 10:42:59 PDT 2011

On 04/09/2011 06:12 AM, Paul Coccoli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu>  wrote:
>> On 03/20/2011 07:06 PM, Bill Sack wrote:
>>>
>>> i was going to suggest pulseaudio too - ice1712 support has been
>>> rock-solid in alsa (and jack) for a long time. i use planetccrma&
>>> fedora and a delta44 and have not had a problem after i've gotten rid
>>> of pulseaudio.
>>> do a search for
>>> "<your-distro>    disable pulseaudio"
>>
>> We're running ice1712 (delta 66 + OmniIO box) with pulseaudio with no
>> problems.
>>
>> We do use a workaround (find it attached) to get pa to properly use the
>> delta 66 (this has been an issue for a long time with pa and alsa mutually
>> pointing fingers and nobody really fixing it). This is also a problem for
>> high channel count rme cards, a similar workaround fixes that as well.
>
> I've been a Fedora/PlanetCCRMA user for years, and I always recommend
> it.  Fernando does an excellent job, and more and more packages seem
> to be moving into Fedora proper.
>
> Fernando - I have a different workaround that I got from Red Hat
> bugzilla 499435 that involves patching ALSA's ICE1712.conf.  Does your
> workaround make the other one unnecessary?  Your looks cleaner.

Hmm, which one of the ones in bugzilla are you using? (comment #29?).
Modifying that file is better than the hack I suggested. It is more
general.

In our case we need PA to just use that darn card and do nothing else
(ie: ignore the mobo card if it is there - turns out that is not so easy
to achieve, at least last time I wasted time trying to do that). So I
just turn off auto-detection as well as specifying a channel map that
makes PA happy (I did not originate the hack, it's been around for a
long time). Maybe computers will be obsolete before this bug is really
fixed...

-- Fernando