[Ardour-Users] Good plugins, Re: Hm...

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Sep 1 04:03:34 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 01:28 +0100, Noel Darlow wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:06:57 -0400
> Paul Winkler <slinkp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would be really curious which plugins you use a lot, and what gear
> > they replaced. Always on the lookout for good plugins!
>
> C* plate is a decent reverb

And what gear does C* plate replace?

I guess for effects it's similar as it is for synth. If we wish to have
the sound quality of beasts like the CME microchips for synth, we need
to use external devices.

IMO plugins are useful additions, but they seldom could replace gear.

The computer is the HD recorder, the sequencer and perhaps the mixer,
but if some effects or synth are wanted, a sound card is needed that has
enough IOs to insert external devices and those wanted devices of course
are needed too.

Not a plugin, but for me JAMin did replace several low-cost compressors,
in the price range of homerecording Fostex, Alesis etc. compressors. For
Windows there's a free VST compressor that is able to replace this gear
too, but I can't remember it's name. IMO compressors, limiters, noise
gates, expander could be replaced by computer apps and they often are
better than external devices of that kind.