[Ardour-Users] Aligning recording with existing material

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 16:42:58 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Per Sigmond <per at sigmond.no> wrote:

> Using ardour 2.8.11 and jack 1.9.4 on Linux (PlanetCCRMA/fc11) I can't get
> recording of new tracks aligned with existing audio. Recordings seem to arrive
> late, and it gets worse when increasing frames/period in jack.
>
> A few version ago (probably before 2.8.8) recordings used to be aligned
> perfectly as long as I pressed play first and rec afterwards. If I did it the
> other way around I got simular behaviour as the present version. Now it is
> unaligned no matter in what order I do things, but it is at least consistent
> :-).
>
> Anyone else experiencing this? If not, what should I look for to find the error
> in my setup?
>
> (Yes, I have checked that the tracks are configured to align with existing
> material).

What kind of hardware are you using? Some hardware doesn't support
direct monitoring and can introduce pretty bad latency. If do you have
hardware that does support direct monitoring (like RME or M-Audio),
you may not have this enabled in Ardour under Options->Monitoring

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com