[Ardour-Users] swap channels?

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Wed Oct 20 13:14:45 PDT 2010

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Kim Cascone <kim at anechoicmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> I swapped the inputs from a track going to the master bus
>> I was looking for a right-click 'swap' function that would actually 'swap' a
>> stereo track so it would visually correlate to the track
>> sorry for wasting bandwidth :)
>>

> there's no such function mostly because ardour doesn't really pay
> particular attention to stereo configurations. ie. you can have 3, 4
> ... channel tracks, where this operation would make no sense.

true -- I've not worked with soundfiles larger than 2 channels yet but I
can see the logic in that decision
> special-casing it is also possible, but its just never come up before
> since its easily accomplished as a plugin or via signal routing.

yeah I'm working on a project where most of the files are right channel
heavy
I'm layering these on stereo tracks and channel swapped some them so
they blend across the stereo field more evenly
just thought it might be cool to see a track of stereo files as 'left
heavy' vs 'right heavy' so I could follow which track was which -- not a
big deal...
> if you wanted to edit the .ardour file to accomplish this, its pretty
> straightforward ...

interesting...I remember following a thread about editing the .ardour file
what would editing the xml file allow me to do?