[Ardour-Users] click free editing and zero crossings?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu May 20 13:12:37 PDT 2010

Lamar Owen wrote:
> Crossfades don't have to cause phasing if you're careful.

It takes around 60 seconds to do another take and around 60 minutes to
do the perfect, non-phasing cut ;).

> Nope; I've done a number of edits of my own voice that I cannot hear, and I
> know exactly when to listen for the edit.
>
> I've also edited the dialog of people who are now deceased; there are no do-
> overs possible, and it is nice to be able to take out coughs, sneezes, hacks,
> and the like.  And in my case I also edit for length; taking out quiet
> portions, taking out inhales (I have a raspy inhale, unfortunately), sniffles,
> etc, are all part of my weekly edit session for my radio broadcast.

We all will die, we all aren't perfect. That's natural!

>> Btw. goof is part of a composition.
>>

> Nope; goof is part of the performance, but not part of the composition :-).

Yesno ;), but more yes :). Pardon, you are right! But I'm sure you know
what I mean, even if my English is terribly broken ;).
Fuck the composition and enjoy the performance.

>> Does AutoTune make vocals more
>> pleasant, because they are perfectly tuned?
>>

> It depends upon the desired effect, I guess.  Never used AutoTune myself, nor
> am I fond of the vocoder-on-steroids sound it creates, but some seem to like
> it.

IOW ;), ok, there's nothing wrong to use AutoTune for artistically
minded expression. Hm? How much of the music you're listening to, does
use AutoTune for artistically minded expression ;). And why don't you
use it yourself ;).

>> Stop editing, keep mistakes
>> or play it again!
>>

> Nope, ain't a gonna happen.  Even in the tape days people edited, and it's a
> simple fact of life in the audio world, whether we like it or not.

Correct, I'm in the age of 43 and I'm a professional audio engineer
since I'm 16 years old. I DID, DO AND WILL EDIT IN THE FUTURE, but at
the moment common editing is carried to excess.

You are able to "edit" or to "edit excessively" ;).

Everything you wrote is plausible, but I'm sure that you know what I'm
talking about :p.

:p
Ralf