[Ardour-Users] click free editing and zero crossings?

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu May 20 10:33:12 PDT 2010

On 20 May 2010, at 17:20, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

> You have stated above the limitations of edits without fades, not why zero-crossing edits are any harder than edits at non-zero crossings, which was my question about your assertion.

Ah, I see.  I think I can understand how you might have implied that from my original post but in fact I wasn't saying that it's harder to edit at a zero crossing point - only that it's no easier (or safer) than trying to match any other arbitrarily chosen value.  Continuity of the waveform slope is what's important;  not matching any particular number.  Also, while Paul is right to say that zero (as a value) might be a rarity in digital audio waveforms, it doesn't alter the fact that there'll always be zero crossing points - even if there aren't any actual zero values.

John