[Ardour-Users] click free editing and zero crossings?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 19 06:22:23 PDT 2010

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 01:21 PM, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
>
>> Or you inverse the phase of your second example;)
>>
>> While you example is not necessarily bad, it is limited.  The basic concept
>> of editing at a zero point is not bad at all and comes in particular from
>> working with ProTools and other tools for me where there is (Or was last I
>> worked with it) a very audible difference(click) between editing at a zero
>> crossing and not doing it.
>>

> i don't doubt that. my points are:
>
> a) there is nothing magical about zero crossings.
>
> b) you might as well edit at any <arbitrary value> crossing. what helps
> preventing clicks here is the fact that both sides of the splice are at
> roughly the same value. what helps even more is for both splice sides to
> cross <arbitrary value> in the same direction (unlike in my example,
> which was intentionally nasty in that regard).
>
> c) splices at similar values (or zero crossings, for that matter) are
> not a 100% guarantee the edit will be clean.
>
> regards,
>
> jörn

IMO fades are the only solution, but if you edit everything by zooming
in and you only wish to cut nearly inaudible noise after the recorded
music ended, then the zero crossing could be a good point for a cut.
Btw. when doing a punch in and out by using 4track analog cassette
recorders it's also not a hard cut, but a cross-fade. When making real
cuts by a knife and stick together the tape when using an analog Revox
it's less problematic than cutting digital recordings, but anyway this
could cause unwanted noise.

I never noticed a difference between cutting with a zero-crossing
function or without it, but I guess ProTools?, Cubase? etc. support this
function, because it could be a help sometimes.

"splices at similar values (or zero crossings, for that matter) are not
a 100% guarantee the edit will be clean" but it could be clean.

IMH(HHHHHHHHHHH)O less cut, copy and paste at all events is more
musically. I wonder that editing recordings all the time is that
popular. It's good to have this feature, but bad to use it in general.
When I do cut, copy and paste music I prefer MIDI instruments ;).

2 cents