[Ardour-Users] click free editing and zero crossings?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Wed May 19 05:49:12 PDT 2010

On 05/19/2010 01:21 PM, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> Or you inverse the phase of your second example;)
>
> While you example is not necessarily bad, it is limited.  The basic concept
> of editing at a zero point is not bad at all and comes in particular from
> working with ProTools and other tools for me where there is (Or was last I
> worked with it) a very audible difference(click) between editing at a zero
> crossing and not doing it.

i don't doubt that. my points are:

a) there is nothing magical about zero crossings.

b) you might as well edit at any <arbitrary value> crossing. what helps
preventing clicks here is the fact that both sides of the splice are at
roughly the same value. what helps even more is for both splice sides to
cross <arbitrary value> in the same direction (unlike in my example,
which was intentionally nasty in that regard).

c) splices at similar values (or zero crossings, for that matter) are
not a 100% guarantee the edit will be clean.

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Elektrofachkraft
Audio and event engineer - Ambisonic surround recordings

http://stackingdwarves.net