[Ardour-Users] Ardour-Users Digest, Vol 76, Issue 6

peiman khosravi peimankhosravi at gmail.com
Wed May 19 03:49:53 PDT 2010

> Peiman Khosravi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For editing purposes I find move [forward/backward] to transient (in
> > transport->playhead) more useful than move to zero-crossing. It should
> > detect discontinuities in the waveform.
> >
> I'm probably misinterpreting you but I think that would be hard to do
> since, being digital, the waveform is discontinuous at every sample point.

Well it's detecting attacks in the audio rather than discontinuities per se
(more like perceptually relevant discontinuities). In a context where you
have, say, two attacks and you want to cut the region just before the second
you can use this function instead of zooming in to find the exact place.

As far as avoiding clicks is concerned I would use small fades and wouldn't
rely on cutting at zero-crossing, as mentioned before.

Best,

PS You probably know that audacity has a find zero-crossing command. A
little experiment with that will show that cutting at zero-crossing isn't
always safe.