[Ardour-Users] Auditing individual takes, in context

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Mar 12 23:14:44 PST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:47:47PM -0800, Glarbl_Blarbl wrote:
> It's a little late for this project, but I've found that the playlist function works well for this purpose.
>
> When you go to record a new take (if intending to keep the old ones) just click on the 'p' corresponding to the track on which you're recording in the editor view to open the playlist context menu.  Then pick 'new', optionally giving it a name.  Record a new take (playlist) and repeat for each take until you have enough material.  When you've collected enough takes you can use the same menu to audition each one individually.  I've found this to be much cleaner than patching, and allows for sophisticated 'comping' consisting of the best parts of each take.  The really awesome thing about it is if you make edit groups, you can attach playlists to multiple tracks -- great for multiple takes recording live-to-multitrack.
>
> I've attached a screenshot in case my directions are unclear :)
>
> Hope this helps!

Wow, that is an awesome feature, very useful! Thanks!

It suggests to me a possible solution to another problem I've had:
I've got a couple songs where I have alternate edits, for example, one where there's a false ending and then it goes back for another solo, and another with a differnt intro. I've had to copy/paste regions, which was easy enough to do, but presents problems for me for example if I need to overdub onto or edit things in both.

For example, I have mix 1 and mix 2. Mix 1 has a different intro than mix 2, but the regions are other than that 100% copy/pasted. Now I have to fix a wrong note in mix 2. I also have to duplicate the same edit on mix 1.

It'd be cool if maybe I could use playlists to have mix 1 and mix 2 be in the same place, but just have different playlists. But then, I might still be stuck making the edits twice.

I'm sorry, I'm a nerd, and if I were writing code, I'd want to abstract out the bulk of the song into an "include file" and just have different edits "include" the bulk. But I don't know of any way to do that with audio in Ardour, it sounds like it might be more work than it's worth though.

-ken