[Ardour-Users] How to add an effect to a track

Michael Neumeier dennismail at gmx.net
Thu Mar 4 01:00:35 PST 2010

> In the channel strips on the mixer window there are boxes above and
> below the fader.  Right-click and "Add Plugin..." - pretty
> straightforward.  Why are there two boxes?  Pre- and post-fade effects.

Okay, I got that.

> If you want to send a channel to an effect bus (like maybe a reverb),
> create a bus, put the effect in the pre-fade slot, then in the track add
> a Send.  Hook its outputs to the input of the bus, enable it, and
> reverberate away as much as you like.

As I am quite new into hd-recording, I first had to understand the difference between "track" and "bus". If I understand correctly, a "track" has an input that I can freely use, while its output is connected to the recording (=harddisk), while a "bus" has both input and output that I can freely define. Would you say that this is correct? Are there any other important differences between the 2 things?

To your example: Allright, I got this. But where do I connect the output of the bus? Back to the track? That´s the only possibility I see here, but perhaps there is a better one...

Thanks so far, I really aprreciate your help here.

Michael