[Ardour-Users] Unable to build ardour 2.8.9.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jun 19 15:31:07 PDT 2010

juanjavier martínez wrote:

>> Oops, add /usr/lib/pkgconfig without /vamp-sdk.pc to the variable ;)
>> AFTER you installed the missing package.
>>

> ---haha, **THAT** did the trick, many thanks to you

You're welcome :)

> ....Unfortunately,
> Ardour will not build with VST support on a 64 bit machine.
>
> ***************************
> DETECTED DIST_TARGET=x86_64
> ***************************
>
> You cannot use VST plugins with a 64 bit host. Please run with VST=0
>
> It is theoretically possible to build a 32 bit on a 64 bit system.
> However, this is tricky and not recommended for beginners.
>
> I am affraid that I will have to try with no VST support in my 64 bit
> system.
>
> Perhaps I should try to set another Debian 32 bit installation in any
> other partition and see if Ardour allows to get built with VST
> support...in a 64 bit system but with a 32 bit installation.
>
> Regards.

Qtractor can be build with VST support on Debian (based distros) without
any issues, but you might miss some features supported by Ardour. Some
32-bit apps are fine if you add a so called '32-bit chroot' or if you
add 32-bit libs by the 'getlibs' command. For Suse it's easier to use
32-bit apps. On Suse 32-bit apps are ok, that don't run on Debian 64-bit
installs, e.g. proprietary LightScribe software.

Do you know dssi-vst? http://www.breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/