[Ardour-Users] [OT] slashdot linux audio discussions

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sun Jun 6 04:18:26 PDT 2010

hi johannes!

On 06/05/2010 12:38 PM, Johannes Mario Ringheim wrote:
> Den 04. juni 2010 20:11, skreiv Jörn Nettingsmeier:
>>> It's also interesting to follow the discussion on Slashdot regarding
>>> Ardour and FLOSS audio tools in general:
>>>
>>> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/06/03/196234/Frank-Zappas-Influence-On-Linux-and-FOSS-Development
>>>

>> for those who have read any other slashdot thread on linux audio: no,
>> this thread is *not* interesting. seen one, seen 'em all. average clue
>> level very close to detection threshold.
>
> To me the general opinion, especially among a crowd like slashdot
> readers, is interesting even though often unwise. It tells much about
> the impression of LA in the eyes of people who are not already deep into
> it like us.

in principle, yes. in the slashdot case, i don't think so. i think the
quality of /. discussions on linux audio is severely constrained by
something one might call "drive-by arguing", which usually follows this
pattern:

* i don't really care
* i don't have all that much clue and/or my experience is several years old
* by handing out sweepinig dismissals and quoting how my dad uses
protools, i hope to look like a professional

i'm all for pricking ears at new users' problems. but i'm totally
unwilling to spend my valuable free time evangelizing the ./ crowd - if
they don't like linux audio, that's all fine and dandy with me. for the
others, it's here for the taking :)

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Elektrofachkraft
Audio and event engineer - Ambisonic surround recordings

http://stackingdwarves.net