[Ardour-Users] autoconnect to alsa fails, export disconnects ardour from jack

Hein Zelle hein at icce.rug.nl
Thu Jan 28 00:03:45 PST 2010

Paul Davis wrote:

> when reporting problems with Ardour you should always state the
> version, the platform (linux, distro / OS X, version), and version of
> JACK.

I knew I should have, but unfortunately didn't have them handy.  Here
it goes, next time I'll do it straight away.  You made me find the
first error immediately - the default kernel was not the real-time
kernel, but the standard one.  Unfortunately a retry with the realtime
kernel didn't make any difference to the outcome.  I'm amazed I
apparently managed to record properly without the realtime kernel yesterday,
though.

1st attempt:
Linux accoustix 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29
UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

2nd attempt:

kernel 2.6.31-9-rt (ubuntu)

Ubuntu 9.10, recently installed and updated.  Standard gnome desktop.
Realtime kernel

Ardour/GTK 2.8.4
  (built using 6077 and GCC version 4.4.1)

Jack 0.116.1  (ubuntu 9.10 packages)

ii  jackd                                 0.116.1-4ubuntu2
JACK Audio uname cat /eConnection Kit (server and example clients)
ii  libjack-dev                           0.116.1-4ubuntu2                           JACK Audio Connection Kit (development files)
ii  libjack0                              0.116.1-4ubuntu2                           JACK Audio Connection Kit (libraries)
ii  qjackctl                              0.3.4-0ubuntu2                             User interface for controlling the JACK sound server

[others left out]

> > - When exporting to audiofile, ardour complains that it couldn't keep
> >  up and the connection to jack was (verifiably) lost.  Sometimes I
> >  can reconnect, sometimes I need to reset jack + the audio
> >  interface.  Anything I can do to prevent that?
>
> what version of JACK? Export uses JACK "freewheeling" mode and there
> are no time limits or constraints when in this mode. No client should
> ever be disconnected while JACK is in this mode.

as stated above: 0.116.1.  I've just retried it with both kernels,
same behaviour.

During the export process:
0)  the % counter in qjackctl next to RT goes to 1e2% (I assume 100%)
1)  the saffire interface "clicks" off somewhere halfway the export
2)  Ardour gives this message:
   JACK has either been shutdown or it
   disconnected Ardour because Ardour
   was not fast enough. Try to restart
   JACK, reconnect and save the session.
3)  qjackctl + jackd exit or crash

Reconnecting sort-of works:
- restart jack + qjackctl, saffire comes alive
- "reconnect" in ardour: first time nothing happened
- second time I see ardour appear in the jack connect window as
  ardour-01.   Connections fail to be restored with the following
  messages (probably because the name changed):

[ERROR]: could not reconnect ardour:auditioner/out 1 and system:playback_1 (err = -1)
[ERROR]: could not reconnect ardour:auditioner/out 2 and system:playback_2 (err = -1)
[ERROR]: could not reconnect ardour:master/out 1 and system:playback_1 (err = -1)
[ERROR]: could not reconnect ardour:master/out 2 and system:playback_2 (err = -1)
[ERROR]: could not reconnect system:capture_1 and ardour:Magda Zang/in 1 (err = -1)

[snip remaining messages]

> > - I'm still reading through the manual, but haven't found the answer
> >  yet.  When exporting to audio file, Ardour seems to use the "end"
> >  marker as the point to stop exporting.  I've tried to move that
> >  manually, but it appears to get reset automatically.
>
> Reset when?

I can't reproduce this anymore - it now worked as expected after
moving the "end" marker.  I expect this happened due to the
jack-reconnection issue and having to restart ardour.  I may not have
saved the moving of the end marker properly.

Thanks for your input!

Hein

 Hein Zelle                     hein at icce.rug.nl
	                        http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein