[Ardour-Users] Painful importing WAV files with constant crashing/segfaulting

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Wed Jan 27 23:08:28 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 09:50:23PM +0100, J?rn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 01/27/2010 09:38 PM, Ken Restivo wrote:
>>
>> I ran it with autosave off, and it still exploded on me during
>> imports, like a trick cigar.
>>
>> So far, absolutely nothing seems to help.
>>
>> I'd still love a way to do this whole import business via a
>> command-line script to build an *ardour XML file manually and
>> populate the interchange/audiofiles directory, bypassing Ardour's UI
>> and not-likely-ever-to-be-fixed buggy import code completely. The
>> next session will be in a week or two.
>
> i'll be giving an ambisonics workshop in march, where i will have to
> import several hefty chunks of multichannel audio contributed by
> participants, while the crowd is watching. looks like i won't be getting
> much sleep in the near future.
>
> will try and get them to submit their data in advance - that lets me
> sleep and maybe some evidence pops up while i'm importing the stuff...

Looks like I'm going to just have to try to write something myself. It's just XML. Some BASH or Python scripts to sndconvert the files and copy them and rename them (what's with the % signs?), and some simple sprintf's and regexps to populate the appropriate section of the XML file (the Regions section, and the Sources section).

The only thing I haven't yet figured out is how the id parameter gets determined. It seems like it's just a unique number determined by a counter, but each time Ardour starts, the counter increments by what looks like 100. So the first few files and regions to get created get numbers like 100, 101, 102, and the next time I start Ardour they start at 200, 201, 202. Odd, maybe there was some kind of collision in the past caused by a crashed Ardour not saving the highest ID it had assigned to something before.

Doesn't look to hard conceptually. Whether it works or not, well, that'll be the really interesting part. If I get anything working, I'll post it.

-ken