[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:53:58 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Al Thompson <biggles58 at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Yeah, standing at a digital mixing desk with the blue screen of death and
> > simply rebooting it is so much more embarrassing than standing in front
> of an
> > analogue mixing desk where half the channels are on fire from burnt
> capacitors
> > and the other half got soaked with beer from some drunk metal fans and
> there
> > is no second console for backup.
> >

> The only major disaster I endured was when a tent over FOH position
> ripped after a huge cloudburst and dumped several hundred gallons of
> water in a PM3000.  I dare say that a digital console, as magical as
> they apparently are, would not have fared any better.
>
> Are digital consoles really as immune to beer as you claim??

Depends.  As I mentioned before, with some surfaces since most of the audio
processing is done in the on stage rack, if the surface itself gets fried,
the audio will still be processed, and you can either swap out the surface
much easier with fewer connections, or worst case scenario control with a
laptop.

     Seablade