[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Al Thompson biggles58 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 26 10:47:10 PST 2010

Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> A home recording situation: While playing the guitar it's sometimes
> possible to do some quick changes at the mixing console, when having a
> complete mixer, but using such a digital mixer I couldn't play guitar
> and manage the mixer at the same time.

A home studio, or even a pro studio, is a LOT different than a live
situation.  In a studio, if something crashes, or if it takes an extra
15 seconds to get to a particular control, things can wait.  You can go
back and try again if you miss something.  It may stifle creativity, but
if you explain it to the band, they will deal with it.

In a live situation, if you can't get to things in time, or if something
crashes, there you are.  You can try explaining to the 10,000
metal-heads why it sounds like doo-doo, or (if the console has crashed)
why they can't hear anything at all, but I don't think they'll care much.

--

Check out the website I've been cobbling together.  It will never be done, but it's a start:
http://lateralforce.no-ip.org

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio, mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
						- [Friedrich Nietzsche]