[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:24:19 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:28 AM, John Rigg <au at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 08:25:56AM -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
>>   There is a night and day difference between mixing on a live digital
>> console(LS9, M7CL, PM5D, iLive, etc.), vs mixing on one designed for
>> recording(Like the O2R or O1V).  The interfaces tend to be completely
>> different, and the live versions are much more flexible for 'live' usage.
>
> I agree. Unfortunately nobody had told the PA company that provided the
> aforementioned 02R that this was the case.
>
>>   To those worried about stability, I have never ONCE had a digital console
>> lock up on me.  I have heard of it in my entire life maybe once or twice,
>> dealing with scene recall(Something not even possible to the same extent on
>> analog) in a theater setting which is the most murderous on such
>> functionality.  Of course I am not thinking about Behringer here, but even
>> those I haven't hear of lockups, just complete dead which would be expected
>> from them.
>
> My concern isn't about reliability of digital hardware in general, but
> commodity computer stuff. I'd find it very hard to trust a standard
> PC in touring conditions. Using industrial grade hardware and carrying
> a backup computer would be essential IMO.
>
> I actually do appreciate why people buying new mixing systems are
> going digital. Good luck with the new iLive :-)
>
> John

While I think the conversation that ensued me mentioning the previous
product from SAW was very interesting I wanted to point out that it
didn't really go in the direction of what I think that product is.
It's not as I read it specifically for mixing the audience mix. It
seemed to me to be for mixing the on-stage monitor mix.

While no one wants a crash of any type at any time when running
computers, and crashes in front of an audience would be miserable for
everyone - technology providers right through to the musicians and the
audience, it's my personal experience when playing live was that
on-stage monitors systems are pretty much set and forget. They are the
type of thing where (IMO) an Ardour template and some digital outboard
equipment *might* be a great solution as it keeps my on-stage mix
pretty much independent of what's happening in the house.

Again, just making the point for anyone who might have an interest in
fleshing out the idea.

Cheers,
Mark