[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

John Rigg au at jrigg.co.uk
Tue Jan 26 06:28:10 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 08:25:56AM -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
>   There is a night and day difference between mixing on a live digital
> console(LS9, M7CL, PM5D, iLive, etc.), vs mixing on one designed for
> recording(Like the O2R or O1V).  The interfaces tend to be completely
> different, and the live versions are much more flexible for 'live' usage.

I agree. Unfortunately nobody had told the PA company that provided the
aforementioned 02R that this was the case.

>   To those worried about stability, I have never ONCE had a digital console
> lock up on me.  I have heard of it in my entire life maybe once or twice,
> dealing with scene recall(Something not even possible to the same extent on
> analog) in a theater setting which is the most murderous on such
> functionality.  Of course I am not thinking about Behringer here, but even
> those I haven't hear of lockups, just complete dead which would be expected
> from them.

My concern isn't about reliability of digital hardware in general, but
commodity computer stuff. I'd find it very hard to trust a standard
PC in touring conditions. Using industrial grade hardware and carrying
a backup computer would be essential IMO.

I actually do appreciate why people buying new mixing systems are
going digital. Good luck with the new iLive :-)

John