[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Jan 26 04:00:44 PST 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 12:11:57 John Rigg wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:16:56AM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Honestly I am dreaming of doing live mixing digital in that the
> > converters and the mixing pc/rack are on stage and both the monitor- and
> > the foh-mixer only have control surfaces connected via network and a
> > single (stereo-)channel transmitted to them for their headphones should
> > they need it.
> > Free advantages: When your foh-surface fries up, the monitor guy will be
> > able to fill in for you. For smaller and more "arty" gigs your foh
> > console can be a small hand-held
> > connected via wireless 8-)
>
> You have a lot more faith in the technology than I have.

I don't trust technology (and neither should you!), that is why I use linux
and am all for open systems. There is nothing wrong with shiny gui and ready-
to-use set-ups and turnkey solutions. But when you can't look behind the
facade to see how it ticks and where it crashes and how to circumvent or fix
that, faith in technology is not helping you.

And thats precisely why opensource and linux is _so_ good for audio, be it
live or in the studio. Yes, you probably have to pay someone to be your
systems engineer, but as far as I can see thats already happening with the
bigger (more then 100-500 visitors) productions.

Once you have your main ardour machine up and running with the session-file
called "16channelslive.ardour" and OSC-control enabled for the external foh-
and monitor-mixers control surfaces, that set-up is pretty stable and you get
live-to-disk recording almost for free...

Have fun,

Arnold