[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:30:36 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM, John Rigg <au at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:03:55AM -0500, Jason Russler wrote:
>> I only lurk this list but I have an observation that everyone must be
>> aware of but that I'll iterate anyway to put this discussion in
>> another light.  Pardon me if it seems naive:  There is a bizarre
>> obsession with the  "high-end" on this list.  There's all kinds of
>> interest in penetrating professional recording/broadcast studios and
>> the minds real recording engineers.   This is not a growth market and
>> it's already glutted.
>
> As someone who makes his living from audio engineering I use as
> much high end gear as I can afford. I don't think this is particularly
> bizarre. Would you expect a plumber or mechanic to use tools that
> didn't allow him to do a professional job?
>
> My own observations are that professional studios are having to
> cut costs to survive. This creates a growth market for software
> based recording systems as more and more migrate from expensive hardware
> (which I suspect might not be around in its present form for much longer).
>
> John

Home studios mostly and then pay for a little recording time when I
don't have the right instrument and professional mastering?

These little difference between MIDI at home and MIDI in a studio for
those of us that work that way.

I was struck looking at the SAWStudio site that they have a product
for house mixing. $500 and it allows you to create individual monitor
mixes for every set of headphones on the stage. (Assuming I understood
what I was reading.) When this conversation popped up last year I
mentioned the idea of creating a specific version of Ardour for use as
an outboard LADSPA hosting in-studio but maybe something like a live
house mix version of Ardour would be another form that takes very
little customization and goes right at that $500 market?

- Mark