[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

John Rigg au at jrigg.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 11:18:51 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:03:55AM -0500, Jason Russler wrote:
> I only lurk this list but I have an observation that everyone must be
> aware of but that I'll iterate anyway to put this discussion in
> another light.  Pardon me if it seems naive:  There is a bizarre
> obsession with the  "high-end" on this list.  There's all kinds of
> interest in penetrating professional recording/broadcast studios and
> the minds real recording engineers.   This is not a growth market and
> it's already glutted.

As someone who makes his living from audio engineering I use as
much high end gear as I can afford. I don't think this is particularly
bizarre. Would you expect a plumber or mechanic to use tools that
didn't allow him to do a professional job?

My own observations are that professional studios are having to
cut costs to survive. This creates a growth market for software
based recording systems as more and more migrate from expensive hardware
(which I suspect might not be around in its present form for much longer).

John