[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 08:11:05 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 6:06 AM, John Emmas <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Oops - BTW Thomas, I meant to respond to this point too....
>

>  in Ardour  we are supporting not only a product but also an idea(Open
>> Source Development), and some of those possible income streams are
>> contrary to  that ideal(Paid for SVN access for instance).
>>
>>  Paid-for SVN access is NOT contrary to the principles of open source
> development.  This needs to be stated more often -  but the "free" in "free
> software" does NOT mean (and was never intended to mean) "free of charge".
> Admittedly, it seems to be increasingly interpreted to mean "free of
> charge"
> but it's very clear from the FSF's web site that that was never the
> original
> intention.  A small (one-off) charge for SVN access might be difficult
> administratively, or it might be undesirable for other reasons but it would
> in no way breach the principles of the GPL or FSF.

John-

  You keep saying this I keep disagreeing.  When speaking of open source
software, it certainly does NOT mean Free as in beer, you are correct.  It
DOES however mean you have access to the source code at all times, and to be
honest there are many ways this restricts this.  Paul has often asked myself
and others to test from SVN, to check bugs from SVN when we report them.
While I may or may not be considered a 'developer' I can tell you that many
people that have been told this on the forums, on Mantis, etc. have not
been.

  You have your ideas on this, I have mine.  We disagree.  I believe that
restricting SVN access DOES run contrary to the ideals of open source
development.  You don't.  Enough said, move on.

By the way, GPL is not Open Source.  It is one implementation of open
source, but as demonstrated by v3, is not always an implementation people
agree with.  I realise of course it is the license that Ardour has gone
with, but that doesn't limit the ideals of open source to just it's vision
in that regards.  Difference between technical details and overall vision in
my mind.

         Seablade