[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 03:06:53 PST 2010

Oops - BTW Thomas, I meant to respond to this point too....

> in Ardour  we are supporting not only a product but also an idea(Open
> Source Development), and some of those possible income streams are
> contrary to  that ideal(Paid for SVN access for instance).

Paid-for SVN access is NOT contrary to the principles of open source
development.  This needs to be stated more often -  but the "free" in "free
software" does NOT mean (and was never intended to mean) "free of charge".
Admittedly, it seems to be increasingly interpreted to mean "free of charge"
but it's very clear from the FSF's web site that that was never the original
intention.  A small (one-off) charge for SVN access might be difficult
administratively, or it might be undesirable for other reasons but it would
in no way breach the principles of the GPL or FSF.

Cheers,

John