[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jan 25 07:56:11 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:38 AM,  <Jason.Russler at gmail.com> wrote:
> No doubt you're right. But for me, it's a tired, old discussion around here
> - I'm a little sorry I hit "send": The major hindrance for myself is clean,
> caveat-free VST/VSTi integration.

It appears that your definition of "targetting project studios"
involves one or both of:

1) a windows version
2) MIDI sequencing

The reasons for not targetting (1) have been made clear before.
Ardour3 is targetting (2) (among many other changes).

That leaves the question of people who think that its sensible and
appropriate to expect that software they bought for one operating
should work on another (i.e. I want to run my windows VSTi's on Linux)
 Sometimes, I think that we programmers do too much. This is a
basically totally unreasonable request. For some reason, some
programmers (including myself) attempted to make it possible.

So, ... you can already do this to a large extent (though of course,
Ardour2 does not deliver MIDI to such plugins) but in the absence of
pre-built, pre-configured machines that have all their t's crossed and
all their i's dotted, this is always going to be more pain for users
than most of them want to bear.

Even though I was intimately involved in making
VST-written-for-Windows-run-on-Linux possible, I continue to believe
that its mostly a fools errand. If VST and VSTi's are criticial for
your workflow then you need to stay on Windows or consider a host like
Reaper running under Wine on Linux. Even that has some overlapping
issues because of the dependency on Wine to continue supporting every
aspect of the Windows environment successfully. On the other hand, the
bigger the plugin, the more likely it will work well. Things like
Kontakt have always been the most reliable.