[Ardour-Users] Do USB audio devices require custom drivers?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Feb 9 19:24:09 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Mike Morris <mcmorris95125 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Obviously an audio noob, sorry about this. Searched for USB and didn't find
> anything answering this simple a question :-)
>
> I assumed a USB audio input device (e.g., this Presonus preamp) would work
> with ardour by virtue of being USB. In other words, if  a program can read

almost all USB1 audio devices do not require custom drivers.

there are no USB2 devices that are currently supported on Linux,
despite the existence of a class compliant specification for the
hardware. No devices exist that have followed the specification, and
they thus require custom drivers which do not exist for Linux.

> Is there anything I need to check about a USB audio device to confirm it
> will work with Ardour on Linux?

if it says somewhere "USB class compliant' or "no drivers required",
then its 99% certain that it will work on Linux.