[Ardour-Users] ardour 2.8.7 and kernel frontier tranzport interface? (solved)

Dave Täht d at teklibre.com
Mon Feb 8 18:57:32 PST 2010

On 02/08/2010 02:44 PM, Giso Grimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the solution is simple:
>
> Giso Grimm wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> has anyone successfully compiled the kernel-based Frontier Tranzport
>> interface with ardour 2.8.7 (rev. 6628)?
>>
>> I tried to checkout the latest tranzport-code (git clone
>> git://git.teklibre.com/home/d/src/git/frontier), applied the patch from
>> frontier/patches to SConstruct. First attempt failed in alphatrack
>> directory due to undefined functions; after deactivating the alphatrack
>> directory in SConstruct it does not even attempt to compile any
>> tranzport driver (the build finishes without problems, but also without
>> tranzport). I am using scons 1.2.0.r3842 on ubuntu 9.10, with:
>>
>> scons PREFIX=/usr/ TRANZPORT=0 KERNELTRANZPORT=1
>>
> The function coefficient_to_dB is undefined in recent ardour (dB.h), and
> comes now as either "accurate_coefficient_to_dB" or
> "fast_coefficient_to_dB". Fixing one line in "show.cc" (for tranzport,
> probably similarly for alphatrack) helped.
>
> Giso

Glad to know people are using this.

The one-liner giso suggests is correct. fast_coefficient_to_dB is good
enough for the
tranzport's purposes.

I have the fix for this in my private tree that I will push up,
regrettably I had incorporated another fix for an obscure problem with
dynamic USB numbering that doesn't work (yet), and there appears to be a
problem with certain tranzport keystrokes in later versions of ardour
that I haven't nailed yet, either.

It may be merely that my tranzport has gone south. Let me know how
giso's fix works for you.

>> Any hints like 'it worked for me' or 'nobody tried yet' would be
>> appreciated. Compiling the kernel-based tranzport interface for 2.6-2.7
>> was no problem here. The binaries seem to be incompatible (missing symbols).

I note that the kernel driver made it into the linux kernel tree in the
staging drivers area, and is essentially the same as the one in git
currently.