[Ardour-Users] Automation from analog mix?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Dec 17 08:28:53 PST 2010

Giso Grimm <gg3137 at vegri.net> writes:

> On 12/17/2010 04:58 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>> On 12/17/2010 02:43 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> I was wondering: if you are recording using a mixer (and using pre-fader
>>> recording outputs), wouldn't it be feasible to record the analog mix and
>>> use echo compensation techniques for figuring out the fader settings (if
>>> we are more ambitious, equalizer settings) and pull them into the
>>> automation?  That would allow one to use a good analog mixer (with all
>>> its nice controls) to do all the mixing hands-on, and still get output
>>> with the quality achievable by digital mixing.

[...]

> It could be a simple tool which transfers your multi-channel tape and
> the final stereo downmix into an ardour project with all automations,
> in a single run. Ok, with some constraints, but not impossible in
> general.  I like the idea (but maybe I belong to the fax generation
> :-)

Actually, it would be quite handy for "importing" existing projects into
Ardour.  There is a lot of "remastering" going on in the music industry,
and not all original downmixes were done at a time where Ardour or any
DAW at all was available.

And not all other DAW's write projects in a format Ardour can read.

--
David Kastrup